Saturday, November 08, 2008

First generation immigrants

After befriending with a few true first generation immigrants from the weekly bible study, I can finally feel how privileged and lucky I am to be a "fake" first generation immigrant. We are the privileged bunch with a strong foundation in root even before our migration towards the foreign work force. How privileged are we exactly? Some of us even have living expense(s), real estate(s), account(s), car(s) and family member(s) all within grasp, all registered under our names, all under our reach even before we take on a formal job, even before we can experience the hardship of earning money, even before we start supporting a family of our own. If that is not called privilege, what is? The "fake" first generations are even "worth" more than an average Canadian from a Caucasian family! I have seen too many children, sons and daughters of the first generation gone to waste, wasting their lives away under the lavish and extravagant lifestyles of their "privileged" class, only to fall back to the cushion of a system protecting them so well, without ever having to oblige on support themselves. I only sincerely wish that the path which I will stroll on in the next month or two would not forsake the hopes and dreams of my guardians, my bloodlines, and my generation. May I cherish, nourish, and flourish what has being put forth from now until the end time beyond.

Let's not forget, forever that we are the privileged bunch!!! And, may we return the favor one day so our lineage may trickle unhindered until the end of time.

No comments: